St John & St AugustineThe soaring tower and spire of John's Lane Church on Thomas Street is one of the great landmarks of Dublin and is unusual in that the tower is rectangular rather than square in shape.
Officially known as St. John the Baptist and St. Augustine, the church's popular name comes from the time when it was proscribed to practice Roman Catholicism and parishioners had to use a clandestine chapel in the adjoining John's Lane.
It was built for the Augustinians between 1862 and 1911. James Pearse, Patrick Pearse's father, was the sculptor of the twelve apostles in the niches around the tower. The architect was Edward Welby Pugin who was assisted by George Coppinger Ashlin. The church stands on the site of Dublin's first hospital, St. John's, founded by the Norseman, Ailgred the Palmer (after whom Palmerstown is named).
The above information was valid to the best knowledge available to the compiler but responsibility cannot be accepted for any unintentional inaccuracies or out of date data.